Q & A

1. If I am an individual looking for training that is not part of a group or organization—how do I get the training?

You can contact one of our training partners directly to see if there is a public course scheduled in your area.

2. Who needs MED or SVOP Training?

Under current Transport Canada regulations, if you are working on small vessel in a non-pleasure or non-recreational environment—basically if you are working—you will require some level of marine emergency duty and operator proficiency training.

Contact your local Transport Canada Centre—Marine Safety Office and determine your needs by speaking with a Marine Inspector.

3. What do I need before I get the training?

You need to obtain a CDN (Canadian Document Number) prior to taking the course so that your certificate of completion can be issued. A CDN number is your identification in Transport Canada’s database for seafarers.

4. How do I get a CDN number?

CDN numbers are issued from Transport Canada. Please click on the link below to contact your closest regional Transport Canada Centre.